Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Africa

1. After reading and viewing the photos taken by Nick Brandt, I am left quite astounded by his work. The photos were beautifully taken, and the truth behind them was unreal. It's sad to think that us humans are wiping them out from existence.


3. This is by far my favorite photo of Nick Brandt's. I think it was beautifully taken, and it leaves me breathless when I look at it. I think the head on angle is perfect, and I love that you can see every single detail on the elephant. It's simple, but complex at the same time.

4. Brandt used lines, simplicity, and balance in this photo.

5. Nick uses a Pentax 67|| with two fixed lenses. The film he uses does;t contain any telephoto or zoom lenses. This is important because he believes in being close to animal's in order to capture their personality.

6. He wanted to show these animals in a state of being.

7. To capture animals in a state of being before they no longer are.

8. "I'm not interested in creating work that is simply documentary or filled with action and drama, which has been the norm in the photography of animals in the wild. What I am interested in is showing the animals simply in the state of Being. In the state of Being before they are no longer are. Before, in the wild at least, they cease to exist. This world is under terrible threat, all of it caused by us. To me, every creature, human or nonhuman, has an equal right to live, and this feeling, this belief that every animal and I are equal, affects me every time I frame an animal in my camera. The photos are my elegy to these beautiful creatures, to this wrenchingly beautiful world that is steadily, tragically vanishing before our eyes."

No comments:

Post a Comment